Shedfield Civil Parish (unit id 10016095) was created in 1894 from parts of Droxford and Hambledon . April 1st 1932 – 283 acres were included from Wickham CP and then April 1st 1967 – 9 acres were taken from Swanmore, 88 acres from Bishop’s Waltham and 1 acre from Curdridge. In 1961 a total of 2,286 acres with a population of 2,142 .
The northern parish boundary with Bishops Waltham, Swanmore and Curdridge can be seen on the 1961 OS 1 inch sheet 180 – Solent as a single dotted line ( dated 1952-1961 1 inch to the mile – 7th Series).
It appears that none of the land north of the Curdridge Road and Forest Road were considered part of the parish.
Since that time the boundary has been shifted to include all of the land north of these roads up until the ‘gap’ between Waltham Chase and Bishop’s Waltham. This area includes the ‘Park Lug’ the original enclosure boundary of the Bishop’s Park.
The current specification for the parish boundary can be found on the ONS website.
All the area of Provene, Ridings, Clewers Hill up to Forest Farm are now included in Shedfield Parish.
It can be seen here:-
The boundary can be seen more clearly in this enlargement with overlay:
The Park Lug was believed to be part of the southern boundary of the Bishop’s Waltham estate as stated in the ‘Hampshire Treasures – Volume 1 ‘ Winchester City District.
and south. Possibly of Saxon date. Likely that park equals the land passed to Bishop of Winchester in 904 A.D. in exchange for land at Porchester. Grid references for north and south points. Ref: 1. District Archaeologist. Ref: 2. P.H.F.C. Vol. 28, 1971.”